ACTIONS AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
What habits of life can we put in place to combat global warming?
How can we avoid climate change?
Climate change is a proven fact. Global warming means serious changes in the planet, such as the increase of the sea level, extreme atmospheric phenomena, deforestation, disappearance of species… But as individuals we can implement small, more sustainable actions within our community that will help to stop it and take care of the environment.
How to combat climate change? We tell you what habits of life we can put in place to combat global warming locally, with 6 simple actions that can make a big difference to sustainable development.
7 simple actions to fight climate change
Actions to mitigate climate change:
1. Reduce emissions
Use the private car less, whenever possible, use sustainable means of transport, such as the bicycle, or use public transport more. For long distances, the most sustainable is the train, above the plane, which causes much of the CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. If your thing is the car, remember that every kilometer you increase the speed, increases considerably the CO2 and the expense. According to the EC, each liter of fuel consumed by the car means about 2.5 kilos of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.
2. Save energy
Look at the labels on the appliances, and never leave them on standby. Always adjust the thermostat, both for heating and air conditioning. By taking care of the use of the appliances at home, we can save energy and, of course, money at the end of the month.
3. Put into practice the 3 ‘R’s’ of sustainability
– Reduce: consume less, more efficiently
– Reuse: take advantage of second-hand markets, to give another chance to what you no longer use or to get hold of something you need and that someone else has discarded. You will save money and reduce consumption. Also practice exchange.
– Recycle: packaging, electronic waste, etc. Did you know that you can save more than 730 kilos of CO2 per year just by recycling half of the garbage generated in your home?
4. Diet? Low in carbon
A low-carbon diet means consuming more wisely:
– Reducing meat consumption (livestock is one of the biggest pollutants in the atmosphere) and increasing consumption of fruits, vegetables and greens.
– All the products, of proximity and of season: read the label and consume those that have a nearby origin, avoiding the imports that suppose extra emissions for the transport. Also consume seasonal products, to avoid other less sustainable modes of production.
– Try to consume more organic products, since less pesticides and other chemicals are used in their production.
– Avoid excessive packaging and processed foods as much as possible.
5. Act against the loss of forests
– As far as you can, avoid anything that might cause a fire hazard.
– If you want to buy wood, go for the one with certification or seal that ensures its sustainable origin.
– Plant a tree! In its entire life, it can absorb up to a ton of CO2.
6. Demand from governments
It demands that measures be taken towards a more sustainable life, through many actions that are in its hands: promoting renewable energies, regulating measures such as the correct labelling of products (fishing methods when consuming fish, labels that specify the origin of products, whether or not they are transgenic, etc.), promoting more sustainable public transport, motivating the use of bicycles and other non-polluting transport in the city, correctly managing waste when recycling and reusing, etc. ….
7. Feed your Soul with Spirituality
Learning to meditate should be a priority to elevate the quality of life and the awareness for the issues of the planet
The population has more strength than they think, and demanding measures from governments achieves a more global awareness of the problem of global warming. Think global, and act local. Your actions are necessary in the fight against climate change.
We have told you some initiatives to reduce climate change that we can all carry out together. Do you have other ideas of how you can act? Share them with us!